What you eat can directly affect your scalp and follicles, which are the root of vibrant hair. Try to eat foods rich in protein, beta-carotene, folate, biotin1, and omega-3s.
Keep in mind that it can take a few months to notice any changes, so don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results right away! By incorporating the following foods into your meals, you’ll be eating your way to shinier, stronger, more vibrant hair:
1. Lentils: The protein found in lentils is key for glowing hair. Lentils are also packed with iron, zinc, and biotin. Biotin regenerates cell growth, which will help combat hair loss2 and brittle hair.
2. Walnuts: Walnuts are not just a delicious snack, but they are rich in biotin and essential fatty acids. When your body lacks biotin it can lead to hair loss. In one study, women with thinning hair were given an oral marine protein supplement (MPS) containing biotin or a placebo pill twice per day for 90 days and 180 days. At the beginning and end of the study, digital images were taken of the affected areas on the scalp. Each participant’s hair was also washed and any shed hairs were counted. The researcher found that women who took an MPS experienced a significant amount of hair growth in the areas affected by hair loss. They also had less shedding3.
3. Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are full of beta-carotene, which turns into vitamin A in the body. Sweet potatoes help nourish cell function and produce scalp oils that will make your hair shinier and vibrant.
4. Spinach: Spinach is rich in folate, beta-carotene, and vitamin C. These nutrients keep scalp oils circulating and hair follicles nourished. Folate is very important because it renews cells that promote hair growth4.
5. Salmon: Salmon provides our bodies with Omega-3s which is an essential fatty acid that our bodies can’t produce on its own. Omega-3s are necessary for hair shaft growth, which will keep your scalp oils hydrated as well. Salmon is also rich in protein which is a key part of our cells and thus our hair output. A study found that taking a supplement containing omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids as well as antioxidants reduced hair loss and increased hair density5.
Hair cells are some of the fastest-growing cells in the body, which means they have higher-than-average nutritional needs. Keep your hair healthy with NATURELO’s Biotin and Collagen supplement.
2. A Review of the Use of Biotin for Hair Loss, 2017 Aug;3(3):166-169. doi: 10.1159/000462981. Epub 2017 Apr 27
3. A Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study Evaluating the Efficacy of an Oral Supplement in Women with Self-perceived Thinning Hair, 2012 Nov; 5(11): 28–34
4. Folic acid
5. Effect of a nutritional supplement on hair loss in women, 2015 Mar;14(1):76-82. doi: 10.1111/jocd.12127. Epub 2015 Jan 8