Our eyes are very complex, sensitive organs that require a careful combination of nutrients, protection, exercise, and rest for optimal function.
The National Eye Institute estimate that in the years between 2010 and 2050, the number of individuals affected by the most common eye diseases — including age-related macular degeneration (AMD), cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, and glaucoma — “will double1.”
Here are six steps you can take to ensure that your eyes are protected and remain as healthy as possible:
1. Stop Smoking: There are many reasons why smoking (including second-hand smoke) is bad for your health, but it can also worsen your vision. Smoking reduces blood supply to the eyes as it narrows the blood vessels and thickens the blood.
Studies show smoking increases the risk of age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, glaucoma, and diabetic retinopathy and Dry Eye Syndrome2.
2. Wear Sunglasses: Exposing your eyes to sunlight can lower your visual acuity by damaging the cells of the macula. When you are out in the sun, wear sunglasses that protect against 99% of UV rays (minimum) and put on a wide-brimmed hat.
A report by the Vision Council in 2016 revealed that while three-quarters of people in the U.S. were concerned about eye issues that may arise from UV rays, only 31 percent protect their eyes with sunglasses when they go outside3.
3. Use Protective Eyewear: If you are working around possible hazards, protect your eyes against injuries by wearing safety glasses or goggles.
4.Exercise Daily: Exercising on a regular basis can improve circulation and lessen your odds of developing diabetes. Try to exercise daily by going to the gym or on a walk.
A study presented at the 121st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, held in New Orleans, LA, reported that individuals who are physically active have a 73 percent lower risk of developing glaucoma than more sedentary individuals4.
5. Monitor Blood Pressure: Your risk of getting glaucoma increases as your blood pressure gets higher. If you aren’t able to control your blood pressure through lifestyle changes, consider taking medication.
6. Eye Health Vitamins: NATURELO’s AREDS 2 Eye Health Formula offers the best in eye care for people of all ages, with a broad array of eye-friendly vitamins, minerals, omega-3s, phytonutrients, and herbs. Our natural supplement helps alleviate eye fatigue and dry eyes while providing support for clear, sharp vision.